Tuesday, October 13, 2015

just another day

This morning, I took the kids for ortho appointments and then to Kneaders for breakfast, their treat.  I was not planning on it since we will be going in a few days for Quayd's birthday, but they all said, "We'll buy!  Pleeeeeezzzz!"  Who can say no to that?  So, we enjoyed a bite to eat together before we headed off to school.

This week is UEA, which is another word for "Fall Break".  We've been planning this for weeks and weeks, to go to St. George and spend a few days with Liza and Buddy, celebrating Quayd's 18th birthday and doing some other fun things.  However.  If it could go wrong, it did.  The van died, then the Expedition died, then the van died again with another issue.  We discussed even going down in the Subaru, but five grown ups in a Subaru, plus the possibility of two dogs, as well, for six hours.  NO BUENO!  The Expedition wasn't done yet and we thought it wouldn't be until Wednesday, we bagged the plan.  Driving to St. George on Fall or Spring Break is a traffic nightmare because everyone heads south for the breaks.  NOT Fun!  So, our plan was to leave Wednesday morning and get an 8-hour head start on everyone else's traveling and to come home on Saturday, so that Doug could be here for church on Sunday.

So, last night, we sat down for the umpteenth time and discussed going to the ranch this weekend, like we usually do (Always the kids first choice!) or some other options.  Layne and Julie had invited the kids to participate in a service project on Saturday then go to Salt Lake City for a fun activity as a reward.  We knew that the girls would be all over that, but it's Quayd's big birthday!  SO.  We had a meeting with him alone first, to see what he really wanted to do.  The Expedition was done early!  All three options were back on the table!

After a long discussion and planning meeting, we do have a plan for every moment of the weekend from Wednesday until Sunday evening!  It's going to be a big weekend and we'll do some fun partying! We're so excited!

Today, after dropping them off for school, I did a little birthday shopping and came home to work on another surprise for the kids. Shoot me, is all I can say!

This afternoon, Quayd worked, Grace had a rehearsal, ZJ took two hours walking home from school because she was intercepted by friends from the ward on her way home from the bus.  Doug got in late from work and headed right off to a meeting. The girls went to a band concert with ward kids in Logan.  I had prepared a nice stir-fry/lo mein dinner but everyone ate in shifts at their own convenience.  I sat here alone thinking, "This is what it's like to be a parent of three teens and a husband in the bishopric."  HA!  BUSY and sometimes LONELY!   

And because everyone's so busy doing their own thing, I've been working on a few of my own things.  I've decided to initiate Sibling Dinners again.  I'll be doing them a few times a year, depending on other happenings.  I'm planning our first one now!  Invitations are out!   I'm also working on some craft projects, a writing project, and trying to come up with a wonderful service project... that's really in the thought stages now.  I'm clueless as to what I want to do, but I feel like I should be doing more than I am currently doing.

It's a busy time, but it's a time of busyness for everyone else in the family not me. I keep busy because of them, but I'm not involved in so many things like I have always been.  So, I'm in the thinking stages of "What should I do with myself right now to fill my own bucket?" (Besides Sonic runs with Carol and reading in the hot tub. ha!)  I'm working on it.  I really am.

Life is good!




No comments:

Post a Comment