Wednesday, January 20, 2016

just sayin'





I spent the day alone at home yesterday listening to LDS Conference talks, looking on Pinterest for fun home ideas and just doing my little creative thing that fills my bucket.  Then, last night, when Doug came home, we ordered pizza and watched the Eagles last concert in Melbourne Australia.  It was sooooo good!  We felt it was our proper way of celebrating the life of Glenn Frey.  There's not too many celebrities that I'd actually do that for.  I do remember praying, literally praying, for Christopher Reeves after his paralyzing horse accident, but I can't remember any others.  Celebrities are people too, right?  Just sayin'.

One of the talks that I listened to, yesterday, was by Elder Lawrence, I love his comment that the Holy Ghost will tell us things that no one else dares to say because He cares. I'd really never thought about it like that.  Friends will tell us the truth, but they'll tell us in a way that it's what we want to hear.  The Holy Ghost will speak the truth, often telling us things that we don't want to hear... things that we need to really work on and we know that we need to work on, but in a way that we can't just let it go and realize that it's time to act.  It really gave me something to ponder about and ask what is the Holy Ghost talking to me about, what am I doing to progress and what am I doing that's slowing down my progress?  I love Conference talks!  Just sayin'.

I have a little rant... I feel frustrated by Valentines Day for kids.  In 6th grade through high school, local schools sell roses to be delivered to kids in their classes.  The girls who don't get them sit there all day long, each hour, hoping that theirs will come and feeling like "losers" because they didn't.  The kids that do walk around almost flaunting them.  It makes me sad.  And what the heck are 12 year olds sending roses to other 12 year olds for in the first place!?  In my opinion, it's a form of bullying on it's own.  Just sayin'.

We know a cute boy who spent over a hundred dollars last year, sending roses to girls that he knew would not get roses.  Oh for a few more "good boys" like that.  But seriously, why is this even happening in middle school?  It's turned me off to Valentines Day for kids!  And that's all I have to say about that. It's fine in elementary when every kid makes a valentine for every kid in the class.  It's wonderful for couples who are in love.  But, I no likee this rose thing in middle and high school. Just sayin'.

Speaking of Valentines day... 
Here's the table in my entryway with a little touch of Valentines. 


Love grows best in little houses,
with fewer walls to separate. 
 Where you eat and sleep so close together,
 you can’t help but communicate.  
 If we had more room between us, think of all we’d miss.
Love grows best in houses just like this.

 I love that little poem.  Carol said that she thinks it's a song.  I've never heard it before, but I saw the words and loved them!

Last night, we also played our own game of Tenzi! It arrived!  As soon as Doug came in, he and Zee and I played for half an hour.  I love how playing together gives us a good chance to visit and relax together.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm certain, but time around the table together...whether eating or playing together... is good time together.  Just sayin'.



And, last but not least, one of the other things that I did yesterday was go through the old scrapbook that I kept while falling in Love with Doug.  I have kept every letter that he wrote to me while he was on his mission and while he was at BYU.  I have gumwrappers, airline tickets, dried sagebrush from the ranch, you name it, fun stuff!  Our first date was to Walt Disney World Grad Night, an overnighter for high school seniors.  Best date ever!  The tickets had the price on them, $8.65 plus tax for a whooping $9 admission to Disney World.  Crazy!  In the midst of it all, I also found this little 4x4" photo of Doug and I... the first photo ever, a candid, taken of the two of us.  It's blurry and faded, but I love it. Just sayin'.


Life is good!  And better because he's in mine!


If it's important to you, you will find a way.  If not, you'll find an excuse.
 

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! I was just thinking about Valentine's Day too because grocery shopping today I noticed that QFC had a Valentine's Day display up. I have no school age kids anymore so I just walked by but by the time I got home I was remembering how when my youngest daughter was 13 and in Grade 7 or 8 I think - she and her best friend were completely stressed out and crying before Valentine's Day even came around because they knew they would not get any cards or tokens at school except for the ones they gave each other. It broke my heart to watch them become so stressed and question their own worth based on whether or not they got any cards or Valentine's Day tokens. They did not. Sadness. They were mad at themselves because they were not 'pretty' girls or 'popular' girls - they were just the 'smart' girls, the 'nice' girls and as my daughter told me, "boys aren't interested in nice, smart girls". ARGG - it made me so mad and broke my heart. I took them out for dinner a few days after Valentine's Day and told them both ... Don't worry guys, just you wait, be patient because in the end, when you are older it is the smart girls and the nice girls that the boys will be most interested in. The boys that matter the most anyways. Just you wait girls!

    ReplyDelete