Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Quayd's Letter #5



Quayd and I were able to write back and forth for a bit on Monday, as well as this letter that he sent.  He's definitely learning and growing through these experiences.  He's been gone only seven weeks, but man-oh-man, it feels like it's been for.ev.er!

Hello! I've been having some pretty cool dreams, probably from Heavenly Father.  This week has been so far the hardest - a real test builder!  One of my favorite scriptures passages that rings true is, “What lack I yet?” 
 I want to be a good missionary, a good representative of the Lord, Jesus Christ. I just don't know how. I want to be the elder who is obedient and a hard worker. Anyway training to be a good servant of the Lord is hard. And there's always room to improve, so “What lack I yet?” is probably my scripture right now.  It’s Matthew 19:20. 

Anyway, this week… even though it's been hard,  there's been much work.  We have met so many people who are interested in our message.  It's definitely yielding fruit in Redlands California.  There’s one investigator named Milton who believes everything in the Bible...I know if we have faith, Heavenly Father will make it possible for this man to stop doubting and accept our message.

There was this other guy who speaks in tongues.  His name is Phillip.  We taught him the first time and I think that's really all he believes, is speaking in tongues.  I shared with him the first vision of Joseph Smith and told him how Jesus Christ said that none of the churches were true.  He told us that he believed that that's the only thing that makes sense.  The only reason he would accept our church, but, then it could go the other way. Jesus Christ said none of the churches were true. I hope he didn't get the impression that our church wasn't Christ’s church. 

Satan works in so many ways.  While we continued teaching him, a man came to the park turned up his music, definitely satanic, and turned it up higher so we would be distracted.  We started talking about the Book of Mormon and Phillip asked a question from the Bible.  We looked and the man asked us, “Why do you use your device? Why don't you look at the book?”  My companion answered that it's easier.  He reacted, “Well, you should know what your teaching by heart.  You should know the Bible!”  I was determined to ask him something from the Bible to see if his drugged brain could answer, but that would cause contention.  He asked us what religion we were.  We told him proudly, “Mormon!”  In his rude personality, he said, “Have a nice day” and turned the music up again.  haha He made us look like the bad guy and Phillip left us to talk to him.  Satan’s work is powerful, but, I believe the Lord’s work is 10 times stronger!

I love the work! I love the people! No matter how rude they are, I've grown to love them anyway.

That's so funny about Jason going through the same thing… no broken bones and flipping over his bike on a hill. I shared that experience about my bike crash and about persevering through life in a short message. I didn't tell them that that was my story. I just said I knew a young man and went on with that. It was a powerful message though…Persevere no matter how hard it gets.  There's another scripture. D&C 122:7-9… very strong. It says:

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

Very strong message!  When life becomes hard, when the bruises of sin and doubt come upon you, when the long way home seems impossible, have faith!  Have a determination to make it home and persevere through those trials.  Push with all your might, with unwavering faith in Jesus Christ.  Have a determination to come home. 

I always love what dad taught me:  There is no fate, no chance, no destiny, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.  When we are firm in faith, when we are firm in what we believe in, then that's when Heavenly Father strengthens us.  That's when we can get on the bike and continue!   

I love this gospel! I love Jesus Christ and his willingness to come here and atone for our sins. I love that I am in the service of him. I love you guys so much and I am thankful for all those who have prayed for my safety..... And my face haha 

I love you all so much!

Elder Corbridge

He got his i-Pad and finally has a way to snap a shot here and there for me.  The first was a few weeks ago when he got it and the second is a current selfie.  I don't think Quayd ever took one selfie at home!  His hair makes me laugh.  Quayd could spend hours making his hair just perfect at home.  Um... not so much here!  Oh that smile just brightens my day!
 

 
 
Life is good!  Very very good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment