Wednesday, January 17, 2018

personal space

I was sitting at my desk last night, I realized, I spend a lot of time here at this desk, staring at this board in front of me.  This is my visiting teaching board, with all the routes and all of our 129 sisters listed on it. It's funny how much I find myself sitting there just staring at the board, thinking about the sisters on the board.  They are not just names on a board, but lives and souls and they matter more than I ever dreamed possible!  This space has become my happy spot, my worry spot, my thinking spot...depending on the moment or the day!


My desk does not look this neat all of the time. Above, it is the after shot. Actually, the notebook and scriptures are usually open on one of the slide-out shelves.  My iPad is open to one screen on LDS Tools and my laptop is open to another. The candy dish is usually full of some treat... pistachios or kisses, of late.  My file folder is often pulled out from the desk below.  But, on Tuesdays, most of this, including the candy dish, is moved to the dining table in the den for our Presidency meetings. 

Here's a before shot, so that the truth is told...

But.  That board.  It just amazes me how much it means to me.  At first, I kept it stored behind my bedroom door, but I was constantly pulling it out.  My rule of thumb for decorating has always been, "if it doesn't enhance the room, it needs to be put away."  HOWEVER, this board enhances my life, like nothing ever has before.  I decided to just keep it up where I could see it all the time and I was amazed when I slid it right into the spot between the shelf brackets with about half an inch to spare.  It was meant to be! (wink-wink)

Friend Marilyn gave me this desk when we first bought this home.  It was a perfect fit.  The plan was to refinish it and that hasn't happened yet.  At this rate, it might be a few more years before I get to it.  But, it's my own personal space where I can feel peace, study, pray, ponder or just listen to music and escape while checking email or social media.

Everyone needs a place that they can call their own.  This is mine.  No one is supposed to touch it or get into things here.  No one puts their things on it.  It's just my space.  And it makes me happy. 

This is the first home we have had in decades that didn't have a craft room/office.  I've turned Grace's bedroom into a craftroom/guestroom.  Since I rarely craft anymore, it's good to have a place to keep the "stuff" that goes along with crafting, but I surely don't need a designated room for it anymore. All of the craft stuff is inside that armoire and one half of the closet.  Still waaaaaaay too much craft stuff!  It's strange to go downstairs and see this room untouched for days, with Grace gone.  But, it's kinda sweet to see it perfectly clean all of the time!  I do like perfectly clean!  But, life goes on and kids grow up and move away.  It's her time to fly and my time to have empty rooms.  I can live with that.



Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn must be a really good friend to give you her desk!!!! lol Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete