Thursday, December 28, 2017

blogging

I've had several emails and comments on Social Media about the fact that I've all but stopped blogging.  It's just harder and harder every day.  For many reasons.  Time and busyness are not the only or even the main reason.  I loved TypePad for ten years.  LOVED it.  When TypePad changed, I stuck with them for another year and hated it!  Downloading pix was a nightmare!  Then, finding old posts was impossible.  All the photos that I'd included as my journal for a decade were thumbprints.  I'd paid Typepad $10 a month for ten years and then to have no access to anything anymore was more than frustrating! Changing to blogspot seemed my only option.  And I like free blogging on Blogspot, but it's not the same at all!

Then, there was another situation that changed how I feel about blogging forever.  My blog was used "against me" in a way that just left an ugly taste in my mouth. Ten years of posting a "mommy blog" with tips on homemaking, decorating, recipes, my faith and belief in the gospel of Jesus Christ and life's ups and downs was used to make me feel more hurt than I'd ever been.  That was kind of the end for me.  After ten years of being open book and telling it like it really was... good, bad and ugly... to have it thrown back in my face, in a literal life-changing situation, was hurtful and painful. It's taken a literal leap of faith and courage to post anything ever since this happened.



BUT.  I do miss it.  I miss the fun friendships that I made through the years, little emails and funny comments that would make my day.  And I miss the record of our daily happenings in word and picture.

Doug frequently acknowledges the joy that blogging has brought me and our family for so many years. I am busy.  But, I can find time if I really want to.  I did it every day for ten years with three babes, three bigs, a husband and life, in general.  We always say "You afford what you want to afford", usually referring to money, but it's true of time, as well.

 So, I've decided that I'm going to try to post, at least, each Sunday for 2018.  We'll see how it goes.  Things in life are very different... blogging about cute kids and cute things they say is much different than blogging about five adult kids and one teenager.  Maybe I should blog about my grands, but, Liza is a bit private about her life.  Maybe I should blog about Relief Society.  Who knows? And I've changed.  A lot of life has happened this past three years since I slowed down on my blogging.  I've had a major injury, we've had kids grow up, we've moved and have a completely different life than what we did three years ago.  So so different.  BUT.  So wonderful.  I do love my life, no matter what happens!  Who knows where my blog will go from here on, but I'm going to give it another shot for the year and see what happens.  So, here's to 2018!  Just saying.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Sophia I am pleased to see you are OK I am sorry I did not respond to the loss of your Dad . Please know that I did say a prayer for you and your family I am so glad you are considering a once a week post . I still laugh at your mouse in the shower story . I have never met you in real life but I love what I know May you be blessed in 2018 Patty Norton once from PA now retired to Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love reading your very real, very honest, very faithful, and very enjoyable posts!!! I began reading your blog while living in Southern California (Redlands Mission), continued reading when we moved to North Texas, and so happy to read more while serving as senior missionaries in Saratov Russia. Life really is exceedingly good!!!
    K. Bowler

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been worried about you since it had been so long since you've updated! I've followed your blog for so long (since the days of dMarie). I'm glad you're going to try to update weekly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have checked Every. Single. Day. Even though we have not (yet) met, I have always felt connected and encouraged after reading your posts. I love everything about your insights and testimony! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you in real life - but have always enjoyed reading your blog about real life :) I look forward to your Sunday posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrilled to see you here again. Your words always hit the spot. Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. It feels fantastic to read your blog again. I have enjoyed your blogs even though we are friends in real life and I get to talk with you every once in a while. I love your pics, your decor ideas, your honesty, and keeping up on things since you moved. I have so many unfinished and unpublished drafts in my blog account that I am wondering if I should totally bag it. I just do it for a journal and for my family. It can be overwhelming when life gets crazy. I look forward to your weekly posts and maybe that can be a good goal for me too :) Luvs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so sorry that happened to you. I had no idea- since in the busy-ness of life I stopped reading blogs for a bit. I’m gald you’ve decided to continue as you have inspired me so much over the years!!

    ReplyDelete