Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Girls Camp ~ last day

The girls woke up on Saturday morning at about 8:30.  None of us were in a hurry to get up, after such a late night.  It was 2 before I'd come in and gone to sleep.  The girls were still outside and going strong when I came inside to get some sleep.

Once they were awake and dressed, they all got busy very quickly getting their jobs done. They cleaned bathrooms, vacuumed, laundered the bedding and towels, unloaded the refrigerators and freezers, hauled everything out to the trailer and helped Doug reload it.  This took a couple of hours and Val prepared a delicious breakfast of granola-yogurt parfait and breakfast pastries that were meant to be eaten on the way home, but the girls all sat outside and enjoyed them on the trampoline.  Everyone wished that we could stay another day longer!

After a closing devotional and final prayer, the other leaders and girls headed home.  Doug and I and out girls stayed behind to remake the beds and make sure that things were all ship-shape for the next family member who uses the cabin.  WHAT A GIFT the ranch is!

We didn't get home until after 5 and then Doug and Zee unloaded the trailer.  I texted the girls and they all came over the next few hours to our home to gather their belongings.  (It's a month later and I still have a sleeping bag, a t-shirt and a camp chair that are unclaimed!)

Camp was a joy and a blessing!  The girls were wonderful.  There was very little drama.  The Kindness projects were great.  The girls really tried to be harmonious.  I feel so good about the experience.  A few last photos and thoughts....

Grace actually went to camp as a YACL.  *yackle  A Young Adult Camp Leader.  She created a project for the girls called "Share Kindness".   Each girl had a list of things that they could do, optionally, throughout the camp and for each task achieved, they received a bead in the color of the YW Value that it was associated with.  This was all fun tasks, not difficult at all... sing a hymn or primary song in the shower VERY LOUDLY, offer to help a leader, pick something up without being asked, sit with a girl who might be looking alone...  Grace checked off each task as they did them and at the end of camp, they received these little bottles with the beads they'd earned.  Most girls received all of the beads.  One task was read the cross-stitch of "A Virtuous Woman".  The purpose was, again, to encourage kindness and positive attitudes at camp.  It helped!


Zulu was the camp mascot and got loads of love and attention from the girls!


On Friday morning, since the Bishop was not coming, we had a little extra time, so Doug hitched up the trailer, we through in some foam pads and went for a "hayless ride".  The girls sang camp songs and had a great time!  


I think that this was my favorite thing at camp.  I'd brought a vintage shutter and tiny clothespins for the girls to leave love notes and attaboys for each other all week.  The shutter was no where near big enough after just a few hours, so we resorted to sticky notes.  The sticky notes were a hit and the window and board were filled!  When we woke up on Friday morning, the notes had been arranged into a huge heart.  We all loved the heart and everyone enjoyed reading them throughout the day!


Our service project was originally to move some logs and wood.  However, we discovered this beauty on the satellite dish.  The hornets were all about and it was as big as a volley ball.  To protect the girls, we opted to clean the cabin windows instead of moving wood.


Always one of my favorite things at the ranch is seeing the flag blowing in the breeze.  The girls took responsibility each morning and night to raise and retire the flag.


I heart girls camp!  I told Jen that I really felt that my time in Young Womens would be shortlived.  I said that I felt like I would be released from Young Womens shortly after camp.  I didn't know why but I did.  Sadly, I felt more love for the girls at camp than I had yet felt.  And I was right... a change was on it's way.  Because of this, I've been even more grateful for the fun experience we had together!

No comments:

Post a Comment