Sunday, August 20, 2017

Girls Camp ~ Day 2

The girls were up at 5AM regardless of their late night gab and ready for the devotional sunrise hike. The YCLs had collected and gathered rocks for the girls to carry on the hike.  They had no clue of where they were going or what was about to happen.  They put on their jackets, gathered their backpacks and walked down past the river.  The requirement is for a five mile hike.  In order for it to be five miles exactly, we added this little jaunt down past the river, where the girls would then choose a rock.  Most of the rocks were about the size of a softball or bigger.  The rock was to represent their burdens.  Once the rocks were chosen and put into their back packs, the girls spaced themselves about ten feet apart and began the hike up the mountain behind the cabin.  There was to be no talking.  They were to contemplate and ponder their burden that they were carrying.  The girls hiked uphill the majority of the way and stayed pretty quiet the entire way.

I did not go on this hike. Because of my foot and my knee, I stayed behind at the cabin and prepared strata for breakfast.  I drove down to the river behind the girls and watched them pick up their rocks and get their instructions.  As they started hiking away, I literally started to cry.  It is one of the few times since my foot was hurt that I've really and truly felt this way.  I wanted to hike with the girls.  I have missed a lot of things with the girls but usually, I'm fine to take pix and enjoy their fun through the camera lens.  This morning, I wanted to have the same experience that they did.  Their burdens were a rock in their pack.  My burden was staying behind alone and missing a spiritual experience.  I got breakfast ready and spent the rest of the time looking up at the mountain behind the cabin and studying on my own.

The girls had picked up their rocks and began the hike, having no idea that they had two miles and half miles ahead of them, they would arrive at the top of that hill behind the cabin.







When they arrived at the top, Kelli, our gorgeous and darling president, gave a devotional message about allowing Christ to carry our burdens.  She asked if they would have gladly accepted someone's help if they had offered to carry their pack on the way up.


The girls placed their rocks on what we call, "Anna's Monument" because Doug's mom has always carried a rock to the top whenever she makes the hike and leaves it on this mound.  Over the years, it's growing!


The girls, then, spread out, after Kelli's devotional and studies their scriptures, pondering the thoughts that had been shared for 30 minutes while the sun came up.


Once the devotional time was over, they were free to talk and laugh and enjoy the view!  I LOVE that my sweet husband is always so dedicated and willing to serve.  He led the hike and on the way down, shared some of his knowledge about edible weeds!


Our awesome camp director, Jen, took these photos and I loved the ones of my girls!  Grace is such a dedicated journal-keeper!  I wonder where that comes from?  



These two step-sisters have my heart!


Following the hike and breakfast, the girls got their swimming things gathered and we headed to Lava Hot Springs, which is a known resort area in southern Idaho, about 45 minutes from the ranch.  The girls made their own sandwiches and packed their own lunches before we left so that we could have a picnic while there for the day.  WHAT A BALL!!!

Zeej and Lorna dove off the 40 foot diving board, after I bribed Zeej!  Lydia and Alli didn't have to be bribed.  The screams were worth the money!  (I was already giving the cash to Zeej to buy school clothes as soon as we got home anyway, so it really wasn't any money out of my pocket, but I was happy that she conquered a fear!  I would have paid her anyway!)



These boards are CRAZY HIGH!!!!


 After a long day of swimming, the girls came back and we got ready for our fun "Talent Night".  Another fabulous meal prepared by Val and the assigned girls, and we were ready for lots of skits, silly talents and a few real ones!  It was a lot of laughter and loudness!  Oh my!  We had Tongan dancing, bubble blowing, ukulele playing, singing and Doug's talent, Donald Duck talking! GOOD TIME!


Even though the girls had been up since 5AM, they were still going when Doug and I went next door to the loft to sleep!  I was blessed to sleep in the loft while the other leaders stayed in the master bedroom of the cabin.  I think I lucked out in the sleep department!

No comments:

Post a Comment