Monday, August 31, 2015

a weekend update

One of my favorite things is watching my girls be best friends.  I caught them outside on the swing together, while Doug was cooking on the grill, and had to capture the moment.  They are as different as night and day, but so much alike, it's scary.  They do love each other!  ZJ was singing and Grace was rolling!
Thursday night, Doug and I were heading to Bishop Skeen's home for dinner with the Bishopric and their wives.  As were stopped at a stop sign (that was literally outside Carol's back window), a 24 year old girl and her Great Dane that wanted to drive, plowed into our rear end.  Doug and I looked at each other and both said, "WHAT THE HECK!?" as we realized we'd just been hit.  That's the strangest feeling!  We both said "ouch" and realized that we were going to be pretty sore.  No one was seriously hurt, the cars were not damaged...we were completely stopped and she'd been slowing down for the familiar stop sign, but said that she was distracted by her dog. 
We called 911, the Mary Ann to say that we were going be late for dinner.  Then, we waited.  By the time the officer arrived, we all three discussed the face that we were all already feeling the effects of whiplash.  It was a good jolt, but, thankfully, we didn't feel seriously injured.
Once the details were handled, we arrived at dinner 45 minutes late.  As we enjoyed a lovely dinner at the most beautifully set table, (I felt that our tardiness overshadowed the opportunity to take a picture of Mary Ann's beautiful table, sadly) but Doug and I were both really sore and achey.  His neck popped every time he moved his head.  His shoulder was aching.  My neck only turned so far and my low back was having spasms already.  Ibuprofen 800 hadn't made a dent in it.
Doug wanted me to be checked, so we left dinner and went up to the ER for some X-rays.  The ER doc said "You have a scorching case of whiplash.  You think you're sore tonight, wait till tomorrow!  AND the next day will be even worse!"  And he was right!  Most of Saturday, we both felt pretty achey all weekend and spent a ton of time in the hottub.  This morning, my neck turns left fine, to the right, almost all the way and the spasms are decreasing.  We're going to live!  Man!  Just when things are going so well!
Friday, Doug and I literally took it easy all day.  We had our weekly date in the hottub!  Stott and Wendy came by at dinnertime with Papa Murphy's Pizza and garden veggies on their way home from the temple.  Our visit ended up moving from the den to the patio on the Logan River at Elements Restaurant. We had a great visit, with lots of laughs (always when Stott is involved) and my favorite lettuce wraps.  When we got back home, Doug and I enjoyed watching the amazing moon that filled the sky.
Saturday, we prepared for our next to last Family Class in the morning.  Doug and the Bishopric went to meet the students as they were moving into their apartments.   They gave them the fridge magnet with the ward information on it and made some connections.  Doug said that it was a really awesome experience and came home pretty fired up for Sunday's meetings.
Our class went well.  We always love the visiting afterwards over treats.  We picked Grace up, bought a few things at the grocery store and came home to settle down and watch one of our old favorite movies, "Regarding Henry" before heading to bed.
Sunday was awesome!  ZJ spoke in Sacrament Meeting in our home ward.  Doug was sad that he wasn't there... it was the first time he's ever missed one of our kids talks.  She did a great job and had completely written the entire talk on her own with no parental help. ZJ?  Imagine that!  ;) 
Following our Sacrament Meeting, I left our church and headed to Doug's YSA ward for Sunday School and Priesthood/Relief Society.  There were so many of them!  They all met together for both classes and filled the cultural hall.  Doug was just loving it!  He loves people and to meet this great kids is just a thrill for him.  They sang the opening hymn in Sunday School a Capella and I was moved to tears by this "choir", who for the most part, had never even met until then.  Beautiful voices!  I enjoyed hearing their comments and thoughts on the gospel, seeing their nervousness about the newness of the ward and knowing that school begins today, and watching them as they watched each other... some pretty cute kids there!  This is going to be a fun adventure!
Our home teacher came to visit just as Doug came in from church.  I had prepared a yummy dinner and we took a meal in to a family in the ward before we ate our own.  After dinner, we raced over to our first "Ward Prayer" experience.   Each Sunday night, the YSA gather for a group prayer and a little socialization.  Our kids are invited to go with.  Again, meeting more of them, watching these students as they get to know each other was just fun!  We were grinning all the way home!
Once home, it was quick to bed for everyone but me... Carol came over and we hottubbed for a couple of hours just gabbing about our weekends, since we'd not seen each other for a few days.  Layne and Julie came around back with a plate of hot chocolate chip cookies and for a short visit with Carol and I.  It was a perfect night for being outside.
Fall is in the air!  I set my first tablescape, keeping it pretty simple, in the living room.  I've not done one since we moved into the new home.  But, this got me very excited for fall décor!  My goal is to go through the bins this week and get going on my holiday spirit! 
It's time!  HAPPINESS!  September arrives tomorrow and with that, so does my favorite time of year!  This week is another busy one.  Tonight is Meet the Bishopric Family Home Evening!  There are two YSA activities and happenings this week.  We're so excited to get to know them and have them in our home!  We've got dentist/ortho appointments this week.  Lunch with a few different friends.  A craft project that Carol and I are going to attempt!  Lots on the agenda!
LIFE IS GOOD!!!  And so is being on the mend!


  1. Aww.....Ward Prayer. I'm glad they still have those. I met my husband at Ward Prayer! In fact, it was 13 years ago tomorrow, Sept 1st!

  2. First time I leave a comment on your new blog! My signature comes as Scrappin'4 ever which is my Google signature but it's me Nicole Dirickx from Niagara Falls, Canada who has been reading your blog forever! Well just to say that I am happy to read that you are on the mend! When I saw your picture on Facebook, I thought it was worse then what really happened. Praying for a full recovery.