Thursday, March 29, 2018

ZJ is 17!!!

This post has taken me a while to write.  It's hard for me to even contemplate the fact that this beautiful young girl is seventeen.  Zeej is my right arm, literally, as I've stated many, many times.  She's remarkable.  She is "Wise beyond her years", much like her older sister, Liza. I love her more than words can say.  She keeps us all together in our home.  She cooks, she cleans, she organizes, she keeps our heads level and she makes us laugh!  She is truly an amazing young woman.  A few stories of Zeej from recent weeks....


I asked Zeej what she wanted for her seventeenth birthday for weeks and weeks.  She kept saying, "I don't know."  As the week before approached, I got more serious, "Zee!  Tell me something!  Anything!!!  What can we do for your birthday!?"   Always, "I don't know."  Finally, she mentioned in conversation, that Will had asked her on a date for her birthday, but she "didn't know what to do".  As we got closer, I started listing options.  Always, "I don't know."  I suggested a party, a dinner with Will and a few friends, taking Will along with us as a family to her favorite place, ANYTHING!?  She always said, "I don't know."  The night before he birthday, she said, "I don't know... dinner with the family, friends here for Mama Sophia's cooking, Will wants to take me on a birthday date, I don't know."  We knelt around the bed for family prayer that night and it hit me!  She wants to go on the date with Will, but she doesn't want to make us feel bad that this is what she wants to do!

We said "amen" and I said, "Zeej!?!?  You want to go on the birthday date with Will, don't you?"  "I don't know?"  I said, "You don't want Dad and I to feel bad, so you aren't deciding."  FINALLY, she said, "Well, yeh."  She wanted to make everyone happy.  I said, "We'll be happy if YOU are happy!  Go with Will!  Have a memorable seventeenth birthday with your cute WillYumYum!" (As my friend, Susan in Ohio, named him.) (She actually calls him Willis and his name is actually Will.) Zeej said, "Really?  You won't feel sad?"  That was all she needed ... she didn't want us to feel bad.  They had a wonderful birthday date, going to her favorite restaurant for sushi, a drive and then Will gave her a sweet and thoughtful gift... a nice anklet and a hardbound copy of The Count of Monte Cristo, which was super thoughtful because she'd mentioned that she'd never read it before but loved the movie.

I took her to lunch that day during school at her favorite sandwich place and we talked and talked and talked.  She was so excited about the big birthday date that night.  It really was a perfect, for her, birthday!  


Zeej and Will are "officially" boyfriend and girlfriend, which is just cute.  They are not touchy-feely, which makes her dad happy.  They tease each other and seem to be growing together in good ways.  He brings out a lot of her strengths.  I love watching her in her first real "relationship".  It's a joy!  I asked Zeej if they have said the "L" word, and her response was "Mom, we are in High School.  The "L" word isn't even a real thing in high school.  I don't know why kids think it is.  We aren't old enough to know what love is yet."  Wisdom beyond her years.

Zeej has missed Grace since she began dating Ben.  But, Zee is forgiving and kind and loving, even if she does get a bit fiesty when she feels the need.  Recently, Grace chastised her with "You are not my mother!  Stop acting like it."  I had to chuckle because Zeej does act like a mama bear ... sometimes, even reminding Doug and I when we need to have an attitude adjustment!

Zeej has been helping a friend through a specials situation for several months.  I've been amazed at her maturity in handling what I consider to be a very adult matter.  She's caring and compassionate and protective.  I love this about her!

She's a make-up guru.  She has mastered the art of eye make-up and even does her own on-line tutorials.  She recently received a shout-out by a "famous" make-up blogger, who has tens of thousands of followers.  That means absolutely nothing to me, but to a seventeen year old, it was pretty awesome, and since she's my seventeen year old, it was even moreso!  I love to see the things she comes up with on her face!  She expresses herself very well with this talent, owning more makeup than most department stores having in stock, but she does the most with her favorite $50 Naked Eyeshadow Pallet!  Who'd have thought something like that could make a girl cry when she opened it!?

Zee on a regular day...

somedays, freckles are a plus...

trying out prom eyes...

mirror image...

experimenting...

valentine eyes...

"Animals are people too!"  Zulu is her baby and she spends so much time loving on this dog.  She, literally, reads aloud to him every night.  He doesn't even greet me at the door anymore, but when he hears Zeej come home, he's as happy as can be!  She has earned some good money this past few months, caring for a neighbor's dog and animals while he visits his family in Canada.  When he returned, he told us that his dog sits at the door waiting for Zee to come in the mornings.  She's a dog whisperer.

A few months ago, ZJ was very nervous about being called into the Stake Presidency Office, having no idea why they wanted to meet with her. While she was inside, speaking with President Jensen, I stood outside, visiting with the Stake Executive Secretary.  He explained to me that she was being called to to serve on our Stake Youth Committee.  He commented that she was a pretty impressive gal.  We talked about how she is "wise beyond her years" and what a great gift she is to our family. Moments later, President Jensen opened the door and invited us in for Zeej to be "set apart" as the newest member of the Stake Youth Committee.  As he began her blessing, he said, "Zyanne Jentry Corbridge, Heavenly Father loves you and He recognizes that you have wisdom beyond your years."  The blessing was beautiful and very accurate.  I told Zeej about the previous conversation that President Jensen had no way of knowing what we had said.  When we came home and sat down for dinner, I shared this story with the family.  Since then, ZJ's "wisdom beyond her years" is a frequent tease, reminder or comment.  BUT.  It's so true!

I have to say that she's a beauty inside and out.  Her spirit is wise and strong!  Her attitude is positive and upbeat!  She's beautiful but real.  As real as can be.  I love that about her.  A while ago, she sent me a selfie that she'd taken, wearing my wedding dress!  I was slightly blown away by her beauty but mostly by the fact that she does not appear to be seventeen, in mind, in body or spirit.  She's growing up far too quickly!  BUT!  As long as she is making good choices, we are happy!


Yesterday, Zeej was one of five youth who spoke at the High School Seminary Assembly.  I was very proud of her talk, which she gave confidently, after having two cavities filled a few hours earlier.  She opted to have her cavities filled with no shots, so that she wouldn't have "droopy lips".  She said it hurt but she was glad she did it that way.  Her talk was pretty awesome, and as always, fearless!

How I adore this youngest child of ours.  She swears that she is never moving out, that she and her husband will live in our basement forever, raising their family so that she can take care of Doug and I in our old age.  She's doing a pretty great job of taking care of us in our middle age!  She's strong, she's faithful, she's fearless!   Keeling it real...she is still seventeen... she forgets to do her dishes, leaves laundry in the washer too long, isn't always on task on her school assignments and spends far too much time texting.  But, she's making great choices, is a dream child for a parent and is a total joy to Doug and I!  Happy Seventeen to the most amazing seventeen year old I've ever met!

No comments:

Post a Comment