Thursday, February 1, 2018

no poker faces here

One of my biggest blessings that has come from serving in Relief Society is my friendship with these three cute ladies. (Our friendship actually began two weeks before my calling, but they have been a big part of it!)

Viola on the left, Diane in the center and Frankie on my right.  


Oh my goodness, they do make me laugh!  We have too much fun when we get together to play Hand and Foot.  For the past months since August, it's been, at least, once a week.  They have their own rules, different than Carol and I have played for decades, and they stick to them!  They watch what the other is doing and I just chuckle at how they tease each other about the game.  You can feel the love of these three women for each other, for the Lord, for those around them.  I have never heard them say a bad word about anyone.   They truly have learned how to love everyone and accept people, flaws and all.  They are a great example to me!

We've also enjoyed going to the movies together and out to lunch.  I am blessed to have these three cute ladies in my life.  They make me laugh and warm my heart.  They are like having three extra mothers!  I feel their love and their prayers and their concern and they are not afraid to tell me what they think!

Doug is always teasing, "Poker night?" when I say I'm heading to one of their homes. (I'd highly doubt any of them have ever played a hand of poker!)  It was Frankie's garage that I broke my head in, trying to protect Viola from falling. They all felt responsible and Viola offered to come and clean my toilets.  She's probably not cleaned her own toilet in decades, but she said, "That's the worst thing anyone could ever have to do, and I'd be willing to clean yours because I feel so awful!"   No! She did not clean my toilet! 

Doug just adores them all and is as thankful as I am to have them in my life.  He's given priesthood blessings to Viola and she calls him her "Go-to Man" for blessings because she got through her pneumonia and flu so well and then another health issue.  I do think it's her amazing faith, however wonderful Doug may be! 

Viola has been a widow for twelve years.  Her husband Jerry was her best friend.  He was so handsome!  I love to hear her talk about him and I love to ask questions about him.  Viola was the "hostess with the mostest" in the ward for decades.  I really feel like we are kindred spirits when it comes to what matters in entertaining and hosting and partying.  I'm constantly hearing about the things that Viola did to turn our church cultural hall into the streets of London, into Bethlehem, and the dinners that she hosted with the most elaborate decor ever!  Yep, we connect!

Diane has been alone for two years.  Her life story is fascinating.  She's been through a lot and yet, she always has a smile on her face and gives thanks for all that is hers.  She's soft-spoken by voice, but she has a mind that she isn't afraid to speak.  Her spirit is huge!  She lives by the spirit and counsels me with her wisdom and gentle spirit often.  I just adore her.  She's tall and thin.and elegant.  The very first day that we moved into the ward, she was conducting the music in Relief Society.  I was in awe of how beautiful she was.  Her spirit is so strong.  She almost whispers when she speaks, but what she says is always worth listening to and pondering for days. 

Frankie is a "happy soul".  Frankie smiles all the time and has the greatest laugh! She's been a widow for ten years. She's always got something to make us smile.  She's small in stature and large in spirit.  Frankie is a good listener, as well.  I sometimes watch her while we play cards and just see her taking in what's being said.  I can tell that she goes home and ponders and prays for us all!  She's a remarkable lady and has the brightest eyes.  Frankie uses a cane and has to be a little more careful about her steps, but she gets around and doesn't slow down!  Have I mentioned that I adore these three women?!

I'm just grateful for the blessing of knowing so many "wiser" women in my life.  I've always loved women who were older than me... from my first friends Linda Kimball and Joanne DeCorso, who were in their thirties when I was 19 to Susan Hatch when I was in my 20s and she was in her 30s to Sarah Willmore when I was 30 and she was in her 40s.  And then all through my 40s, I had the wonderful single widows in Smithfield as great examples and special friends.  They were in their 70s, 80s and 90s. It doesn't feel like long that I'll be the one who is the "Wiser" sister.  Wait!  I'm almost 60!  I already am falling into that category!  ha!

I just hope to be able to live the active lives that these women have!  Norma Watts was shoveling her own driveway at 90plus.  Helen Simmons, 88, across the street from me now, does all of her own housework and plants hundreds of flowers each spring.  Viola announced just after I'd taken that photo that she's planning a Mediterranean Cruise to Rome for the dedication of the Rome LDS Temple.  She's just turned 87!  And she'll do it!

What a blessing to have such wonderful, exemplary new friends in my life!  Honestly, there is hardly a day that I don't wake up and wonder if my "poker ladies" and I will get together today!  Seriously, there has to be a better name for them.  They are not poker ladies.  They are giving ladies, serving ladies, wonderful ladies and I get to call them my friends!  I am blessed and life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment